Among the most important values for SEO (search engine optimization), there is certainly the speed, or rather the page speed, of a website. An aspect that should not be underestimated if you want to create an attractive portal, both for search engines and to attract new users. Quite simply, in fact, content that loads faster than another is more appreciated by the web
But really as the loading speed increases, are there any improvements regarding the positioning of the contents? Yes, and this is confirmed by Google’s Webmaster Central Blog. In practice, seeing that page speed is essential for users, at some point Google decided to include it among the active factors in the ranking calculation. But why is it so important?
Page Speed: The Long-term Benefits
The loading speed is one of those elements that may affect the user experience of your potential users. A web user, in addition to wanting precise answers to his requests, also wants these answers to be as rapid as possible.
Excessive slowness in loading a page of your blog or e-commerce site can lead to an unpleasant experience by the potential consumer, who will be oriented to look for information, in the future, on a different website. As perhaps considered more reliable. Therefore, potential damage to the image/brand for your customer derives.
The goal, together with the high quality of the contents, must be to obtain an optimal page speed. In this way, you will contribute to increasing the depth of your customers’ visits (eg the stay on a page will be longer or they will be led to visit other pages of the same website). This principle also applies to conversions: Do you have an e-commerce site and are you aiming for increased turnover? An increase in the loading speed of your pages can be essential in this regard.
The speech becomes even more important for the mobile version of a website. Users expect mobile browsing to be as stable as desktop browsing. This can only happen thanks to the continuous optimization of the pages, the only one able to convince the user not to leave your portal prematurely. But how can you measure the speed status of a website? To do this, you can take advantage of Page Speed Insights, a service made available by Google.
Page Speed Insights: How It Works And What Parameters It Uses
Page Speed Insights allows you to measure the performance of a web page, both mobile and desktop, giving it a score ranging from 0 to 100: the higher the value, the more the site will present quality performance. But this Google system is not limited to just measurement. It also offers possible solutions, calculated taking into account two parameters:
- Loading time of the defined contents (also called above the fold): refers to the time that elapses from the request by the user’s browser to the end of the loading of the resources that are used to redirect the aforementioned page.
- Overall page loading time: refers to the time that passes from the request to load all the elements that make up the aforementioned page.
There would actually be a third parameter: The Internet connection speed available to the individual user. However, this parameter is too subjective to be considered a fixed standard of reference.
At this point, let’s analyze the values taken into consideration by Google Page Speed Insights, trying to understand how to improve them:
- Multiple redirects for mobile versions of a site: these pass-through redirects are detrimental to your web portal and should be absolutely avoided (e.g. adress.com -> www.address.com -> m.address.com is a very bad redirect).
- File Compression: Enabling it can increase the speed of a website. This is done in gzip format before the customer downloads the page elements.
- Browser cache: The cache can be used to store static pages of your website, in order to reduce overall loading times.
- Image optimization: uploading compressed photos, of a certain format and size, can make a contribution as regards the decrease in page speed.
- Avoid plugins: some are really not very compatible, especially for mobile browsing. Better not to abuse it.
If you want to increase the loading speed of your website then, you can contact the bestseocompany.